Alexander Marshall Mackenzie
Scots architect. He practised with James Matthews (1820–98) in Aberdeen from 1877, designing Greyfriars Church (1906) and the Marischal College (1904–6) in that city, the latter an extraordinarily hard essay in perpendicular Gothic, all in granite. In 1903 he was joined by his Paris-trained son, Alexander George Robertson Mackenzie (1879–1963) with whom he designed the fine Beaux-Arts Classical Waldorf Hotel (1906–7) and Australia House (1913–18), both in Aldwych, London. The latter was in the Imperial-Classical style that was widely used throughout the Empire, notably by Palmer & Turner.
A. S. Gray (1985);Jane Turner (1996)
Subjects: Art & Architecture