Society of Antiquaries of London
Founded in December 1707 for the encouragement, advancement, and furtherance of the study and knowledge of antiquities and history of Britain and other countries. The society is the second oldest of the Royal Societies in Britain, having received its Royal Charter from King George II on 2 November 1751. With a fellowship of about 2000 elected by secret ballot of its existing Fellows, the society holds weekly meetings and maintains one of the largest specialist archaeological libraries in the world at its rooms in Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. Publications of the society include Archaeologia, Antiquaries Journal, and the Reports of the Research Committee. Fellowship of the society permits use of the distinction FSA.