(1504—1575) archbishop of Canterbury and patron of scholarship
was in 1544 elected master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he reformed the library, to which he was to bequeath his fine manuscripts. He fled to Frankfurt‐am‐Main during Queen Mary's reign and reluctantly accepted the archbishopric of Canterbury on Elizabeth's accession. He identified himself with the party (afterwards known as the Anglican party) which sought to establish a via media between Romanism and Puritanism. From 1563 to 1568 he was occupied with the production of the Bishop's Bible (see Bible, the English), his most distinguished service to the theological studies of the day. To his efforts we are indebted for the earliest editions of Asser, Ælfric, the Flores Historiarum of Matthew of Westminster, Paris, and other early chroniclers.