New York Public Library
Consolidated (1895) from the collections of several previous libraries, including the Astor library founded by J. J. Astor, the scholarly Lenox Library founded by James Lenox, and the English and American literature collection of E. A. Duyckinck. Most of the city's independent libraries were consolidated with the main collection (1901–4). The Library had (1981) 83 publicly supported branches, but the Central Research Library, headquartered at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, receives two-thirds of its operating budget from private sources. Its holdings, including the Berg Collection of English and American Literature, contained, as of 1981, over 5,000,000 books and more than 11,500,000 manuscripts.