Hampton Court Palace
(Middx.). Royal residence, situated on the banks of the Thames, south‐west of London. Started by Cardinal Wolsey in 1514, Hampton Court was confiscated in 1529 by Henry VIII, who subsequently added the great hall and a new court where the present Fountain Court is, and remodelled the Chapel Royal and the Clock Court. From 1689 Sir Christopher Wren started work on the new Fountain Court, with its east and south frontages to the garden, and on a new range of the Clock Court. Wren's buildings are classical essays in brick and stone. William III's Privy Garden was restored in the 1990s.