diocese of Gloucester
The see, conterminous with Gloucestershire, was founded in 1541 by Henry VIII from part of the Worcester diocese. The Norman cathedral, previously St Peter's Benedictine abbey church, was partly transformed in Perpendicular style, reputedly the earliest example, by the inflow of money from pilgrims to the shrine of Edward II. The 14th‐cent. fan‐vaulted cloisters are among the finest in England.