Show Summary Details

Page of

PRINTED FROM OXFORD REFERENCE (www.oxfordreference.com). (c) Copyright Oxford University Press, 2013. All Rights Reserved. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a PDF of a single entry from a reference work in OR for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy and Legal Notice).

Subscriber: null; date: 17 September 2019

World Alliance of Reformed Churches

Source:
The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
Author(s):
F. L. CrossF. L. Cross, E. A. LivingstoneE. A. Livingstone

World Alliance of Reformed Churches. 

This body, officially called ‘The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (Presbyterian and Congregational)’, was formed in 1970 by the amalgamation of the (Presbyterian) World Alliance of Reformed Churches, founded in 1875 (from 1877 to 1954 officially called ‘The Alliance of the Reformed Churches throughout the World holding the Presbyterian System’; its title was slightly changed in 1954), with the International Congregational Council, founded in 1891. In 1990 it had 157 member Churches, representing some 60 million members. Its headquarters are in Geneva.

Bibliography

M. Pradervand, A Century of Service: A History of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches 1875–1975 (Edinburgh, 1975).Find this resource:

    A. P. F. Sell, A Reformed, Evangelical, Catholic Theology: The Contribution of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, 1875–1982 (Grand Rapids, Mich., 1991).Find this resource:

      Id. in D. K. McKim (ed.), Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith (Louisville, Ky., and Edinburgh, 1992), 403–7, s.v.Find this resource: