- I ain't got no quarrel with the Viet Cong.
refusing to be drafted to fight in Vietnam (Cassius Clay) 1942–2016 American boxer: at a press conference in Miami, Florida, February 1966
- Pale Ebenezer thought it wrong to fight,
But Roaring Bill (who killed him) thought it right.
1870–1953 British poet, essayist, historian, novelist, and Liberal politician: ‘The Pacifist’ (1938)
- Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
: St Matthew ch. 5, v. 39
- I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war. 1879–1955 German-born theoretical physicist: interview with G. S. Viereck, January 1931
- I renounce war for its consequences, for the lies it lives on and propagates, for the undying hatred it arouses, for the dictatorships it puts in the place of democracy, for the starvation that stalks after it. 1878–1969 American Baptist minister: Armistice Day Sermon in New York, 1933
- All bloody principles and practices, we, as to our own particulars, do utterly deny, with all outward wars and strife and fightings with outward weapons, for any end or under any pretence whatsoever. And this is our testimony to the whole world.
Journal 1661 1624–91 English founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers):
- Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed. 1869–1948 Indian statesman: speech at Shahi Bag, 18 March 1922, on a charge of sedition
- The quietly pacifist peaceful
to make room for men
1944– American poet: ‘The QPP’ (1973)