- Of course not, but I am told it works even if you don't believe in it.
when asked whether he really believed a horseshoe hanging over his door would bring him luck, c.1930
A. Pais Inward Bound (1986)
- An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field.
attributed by Edward Teller in Life 6 September 1954
- We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct.
on a lecture on a theory of elementary particles given by Wolfgang Pauli in New York, c. 1957–8, in Scientific American vol. 199, no. 3, 1958
- Anybody who is not shocked by this subject has failed to understand it.
of quantum mechanics
attributed; in Nature 23 August 1990
- Never express yourself more clearly than you think.
Abraham Pais Einstein Lived Here (1994)
- One of the favourite maxims of my father was the distinction between the two sorts of truths, profound truths recognized by the fact that the opposite is also a profound truth, in contrast to trivialities where opposites are obviously absurd.
S. Rozental Niels Bohr (1967)
- Predictions can be very difficult—especially about the future.
H. Rosovsky The University: An Owners Manual (1991)