- Muss es sein? Es muss sein.
Must it be? It must be.
String Quartet in F Major, Opus 135, epigraph
- The immortal god of harmony.
of Johann Sebastian Bach
letter to the publishers Breitkopf und Härtel, 22 April 1801
- I shall seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me.
letter to Franz Wegeler, 16 November 1801
- Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
remark to Bettina von Arnim, letter from Bettina von Arnim to Goethe, 28 May 1810
- I like honesty and sincerity; and I maintain that an artist should not be shabbily treated.
often quoted as ‘No one should drive a hard bargain with an artist’
letter to C. F. Peters, 5 June 1822
- Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup.
Ludwig Nohl Beethoven Depicted by his Contemporaries (1880)
- I shall hear in heaven.
attributed last words, almost certainly apocryphal but current since the mid nineteenth century