- Tragedy is clean, it is restful, it is flawless.
- To say yes, you have to sweat and roll up your sleeves and plunge both hands into life up to the elbows.
Antigone (1942) tr. L. Galantière
- There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy.
- You know very well that love is, above all, the gift of oneself!
- Everything ends this way in France. Weddings, christenings, duels, burials, swindlings, affairs of state—everything is a pretext for a good dinner.
- Propaganda is a soft weapon: hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way.
The Lark (adapted by Lillian Hellman, 1955)