- The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
All God's Children Need Travelling Shoes (1986)
- Children's talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (1969) ch.17
- You may not control all the events that happen to you but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
found earlier attributed in the form ‘I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it’
Letter to My Daughter (2008)
- History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, but if faced
With courage, need not be lived again.
‘On the Pulse of Morning’ (1993)
- You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
‘Still I Rise’ (1978)
- The sadness of the women's movement is that they don't allow the necessity of love. See, I don't personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed.
in California Living 14 May 1975
- You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
Jeffrey M. Elliot Conversations with Maya Angelou (1989)
- In all my work what I try to say is that as human beings we are more alike than we are unalike.
interview in New York Times 20 January 1993
- Most people don't grow up. Most people age.
Camille Cosby and Renee Poussaint A Wealth of Wisdom: Legendary African American Elders Speak (2004)