- Writers don't give prescriptions. They give headaches.
Anthills of the Savannah (1987) ch. 12
- Whatever you are is never enough; you must find a way to accept something however small from the other to make you whole.
Anthills of the Savannah (1987)
- The world is like a Mask dancing. If you want to see it well you do not stand in one place.
from an Igbo proverb
Arrow of God (1988) ch. 4
- May good confront the man on top and the man below. But let him who is jealous of another's position choke with his envy.
Arrow of God (1988) ch. 9
- In such a regime, I say, you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to come forward and shoot your murderer in the chest—without asking to be paid.
A Man of the People (1966)