- The fact that for a long time Cubism has not been understood and that even today there are people who cannot see anything in it, means nothing. I do not read English, an English book is a blank book to me. This does not mean that the English language does not exist.
interview with Marius de Zayas, 1923
- No, painting is not made to decorate apartments. It's an offensive and defensive weapon against the enemy.
interview with Simone Téry, 24 March 1945, in Alfred H. Barr Picasso (1946)
- The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web.
Alfred H. Barr Jr. Picasso: Fifty Years of his Art (1946)
- When I was the age of these children I could draw like Raphael: it took me many years to learn how to draw like these children.
to Herbert Read
, when visiting an exhibition of children's drawings
quoted in letter from Read to Times 27 October 1956
- I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
John Golding Cubism (1959)
of computers:But they are useless. They can only give you answers.
in Paris Review 1964
- God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant, and the cat. He has no real style. He just goes on trying other things.
F. Gilot and C. Lake Life With Picasso (1964) pt. 1
- Every positive value has its price in negative terms…The genius of Einstein leads to Hiroshima.
F. Gilot and C. Lake Life With Picasso (1964) pt. 2
- We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.
Dore Ashton Picasso on Art (1972) ‘Two statements by Picasso’