- Labour is the party of law and order in Britain today. Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime. 1953– British Labour statesman, Prime Minister 1997—2007: speech at the Labour Party Conference, 30 September 1993
- The fear of burglars is not only the fear of being robbed, but also the fear of a sudden and unexpected clutch out of the darkness.
Crowds and Power (1960) 1905–94 Bulgarian-born writer and novelist:
- Once in the racket you're always in it.
Philadelphia Public Ledger 18 May 1929 1899–1947 Italian-born American gangster: in
- Crime isn't a disease, it's a symptom. Cops are like a doctor that gives you aspirin for a brain tumour.
The Long Good-Bye (1953) 1888–1959 American writer of detective fiction:
- Thieves respect property. They merely wish the property to become their property that they may more perfectly respect it.
The Man who was Thursday (1908) ch. 4 1874–1936 English essayist, novelist, and poet:
- Thou shalt not steal; an empty feat,
When it's so lucrative to cheat.
1819–61 English poet: ‘The Latest Decalogue’ (1862)
- Singularity is almost invariably a clue. The more featureless and commonplace a crime is, the more difficult is it to bring it home.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892) ‘The Boscombe Valley Mystery’ 1859–1930 Scottish-born writer of detective fiction:
- Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects.
Casablanca (1942 film); spoken by Claude Rains 1909–2001, 1909–52, and 1902–95 American screenwriters:
- A clever theft was praiseworthy amongst the Spartans; and it is equally so amongst Christians, provided it be on a sufficiently large scale.
Social Statics (1850) pt. 2, ch. 16, sect. 3 1820–1903 English philosopher:
- When Mexico sends people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems…They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
New York Post 17 June 2016 1946– American businessman and Republican politician: announcing his candidacy for the presidency, 16 June 2015, in