- Labour is the party of law and order in Britain today. Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime.
speech at the Labour Party Conference, 30 September 1993
- The art of leadership is saying no, not yes. It is very easy to say yes.
in Mail on Sunday 2 October 1994
- Ask me my three main priorities for Government, and I tell you: education, education and education.
speech at the Labour Party Conference, 1 October 1996
- We are not the masters. The people are the masters. We are the servants of the people.
addressing Labour MPs on the first day of the new Parliament, 7 May 1997; see Burke
- She was the People's Princess, and that is how she will stay…in our hearts and in our memories forever.
on hearing of the death of Diana
, Princess of Wales, 31 August 1997
in Times 1 September 1997
- We therefore here in Britain stand shoulder to shoulder with our American friends in this hour of tragedy and we, like them, will not rest until this evil is driven from our world.
in Downing Street, London, 11 September 2001
- The state of Africa is a scar on the conscience of the world.
speech to Labour Party Conference, 2 October 2001
- presenter: [Is Britain] prepared to send troops to commit themselves, to pay the blood price?
tony blair: Yes. What is important though is that at moments of crisis they [the USA]…need to know, ‘Are you prepared to commit, are you prepared to be there when the shooting starts?’
interview on BBC2 Hotline to the President 8 September 2002
- This is not the time to falter.
speech in the House of Commons, 18 March 2003
- I can only go one way. I've not got a reverse gear.
speech, Labour Party Conference, Bournemouth, 30 September 2003
- However much the right hon. gentleman may dance around the ring beforehand, at some point, he will come within the reach of a big clunking fist.
to David Cameron, the House of Commons, 15 November 2006