Update
The Oxford Biblical Studies Online and Oxford Islamic Studies Online have retired. Content you previously purchased on Oxford Biblical Studies Online or Oxford Islamic Studies Online has now moved to Oxford Reference, Oxford Handbooks Online, Oxford Scholarship Online, or What Everyone Needs to Know®. For information on how to continue to view articles visit the subscriber services page.
Dismiss

You are looking at 1-14 of 14 entries  for:

  • All: hedonic treadmill x
clear all

View:

Overview

hedonic treadmill

An interpretation of subjective well-being based on adaptation-level theory, published by the Canadian psychologist Philip Brickman (1943–82) and the US psychologist Donald T(homas) ...

hedonic treadmill

hedonic treadmill n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

... treadmill n . An interpretation of subjective well-being based on adaptation-level theory , published by the Canadian psychologist Philip Brickman ( 1943–82 ) and the US psychologist Donald T(homas) Campbell ( 1916–96 ) in a book chapter in 1971 , according to which a person’s moods change in response to good and bad experiences but return quickly to neutrality, so that both happiness and sadness tend to be transitory. In a classic article in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology ( 1978 ), Brickman and two colleagues provided...

hedonic treadmill

hedonic treadmill  

An interpretation of subjective well-being based on adaptation-level theory, published by the Canadian psychologist Philip Brickman (1943–82) and the US psychologist Donald T(homas) Campbell ...
treadmill

treadmill  

Reference type:
Overview Page
A device for driving machinery or providing exercise consisting of a continuous moving belt on which a person can walk or jog while staying in the same place. See also hedonic treadmill [From Old ...
adaptation-level theory

adaptation-level theory  

A theory proposed by the US psychologist Harry Helson (1898–1977) in an article in the American Journal of Psychology in 1947, according to which the adaptation level is determined for a class of ...
happiness

happiness n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

... n . One of the primary emotions , associated with pleasure or joy. See also eudaimonic well-being , health psychology , hedonic treadmill , hedonic well-being , positive psychology , smile , subjective well-being . happy adj . [From Old Norse happ good luck + - ness , indicating a...

treadmill

treadmill n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

... n . A device for driving machinery or providing exercise consisting of a continuous moving belt on which a person can walk or jog while staying in the same place. See also hedonic treadmill [From Old High German tretan to tread + Latin mola a mill or millstone, from molere to...

subjective well-being

subjective well-being n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

...between average income and average subjective well-being, and rising income does not always increase subjective well-being. It is substantially determined by genetic inheritance and is strongly associated with health and longevity. See eudaimonic well-being , hedonic treadmill , hedonic well-being . See also emergenesis . SWB abbrev...

positive psychology

positive psychology n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

...US psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (born 1934 ). In March 2003 , the British Psychological Society's journal The Psychologist also devoted a special issue to positive psychology. See also eudaimonic well-being , happiness , health psychology , hedonic treadmill , hedonic well-being , ego involvement , post-traumatic growth , self-confidence , self-efficacy , self-esteem , subjective well-being...

adaptation-level theory

adaptation-level theory n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015

...necessarily relative to the prevailing norm or adaptation level, so that a 4 ounce (113 gram) pen is heavy, but a baseball bat must weigh over 40 ounces (1.13 kilograms) to be judged heavy. The phenomenon is a type of context effect . Also called AL theory . See also hedonic treadmill , prospect theory . Compare assimilation–contrast theory...

prospect theory

prospect theory n.   Quick reference

A Dictionary of Psychology (4 ed.)

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2015
Subject:
Science and technology, Psychology, Medicine and health, Psychiatry
Length:
446 words
Illustration(s):
1

...containing a 25 per cent chance of winning $250 and a 75 per cent chance of losing $750, thus violating the principle of rationality according to which a dominant alternative/strategy should invariably be preferred. See also endowment effect , framing effect , hedonic treadmill . Prospect theory. The concave section to the right represents risk aversion for gains, with a sure gain of $35 having the same value as a 50 per cent probability of gaining $100; the steeper convex section to the left represents risk seeking for losses, with a sure loss of...

Kupperman, Joel Jay

Kupperman, Joel Jay (1936–)   Reference library

The Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2010
Subject:
Philosophy
Length:
678 words

...“Pluralism and the Tradition of Democracy,” in Can Democracy Be Taught? ed. Andrew Oldenquist (Bloomington, Ind., 1996), pp. 45–60. “How Values Congeal into Facts,” Ratio ns 13 (2000): 37–53. “ The Indispensability of Character, ” Philosophy 76 (2001): 239–50. “ Hedonic Treadmills, and Public Policy, ” Public Affairs Quarterly 17 (2003): 17–28. Further Reading Ahmad, M. Mobin . “ Kupperman’s Ethical Knowledge, ” Ethics 83 (1973): 346–51. Dalgleish, Tim . “ An Anti-anti-essentialist View of the Emotions: A Reply to Kupperman, ” Philosophical...

Trajectories of Well-Being in Later Life

Trajectories of Well-Being in Later Life   Reference library

Nardi Steverink

The Oxford Encyclopedia of Psychology and Aging

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2019
Subject:
Science and technology, Psychology
Length:
10,918 words
Illustration(s):
2

...in line with the hedonic treadmill theory, which was long considered one of the most important theories explaining why well-being often shows stability over time. Hedonic treadmill theory states that people react to good and bad events, but return to their set point of well-being in a relatively short time. More recently, however, this view has been challenged; it has been argued that individuals differ in their adaptation to events, and they can change for the long term ( Diener, Lucas, & Scollon, 2006 ; Heady, 2013 ). Regarding hedonic well-being or SWB,...

Biodiversity Metrics in Lifespan Developmental Methodology

Biodiversity Metrics in Lifespan Developmental Methodology   Reference library

Lizbeth Benson and Nilam Ram

The Oxford Encyclopedia of Psychology and Aging

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2019
Subject:
Science and technology, Psychology
Length:
15,530 words
Illustration(s):
10

...week, month, and year) and found that higher diversity in activities was associated with higher happiness, except when relatively short time scales were considered ( Etkin & Mogilner, 2014 ). Activity diversity is also implied in the hedonic adaptation prevention model, suggesting that one way to avoid the hedonic treadmill—the relatively short-lived boost in positive affect in response to a positive event—is to seek varied positive events/activities ( Jacobs Bao & Lyubomirsky, 2013 ; Quoidbach et al., 2015 ; Sheldon & Lyubomirsky, 2012 ). Finally, from...

Economic Conditions and Public Opinion on Climate Change

Economic Conditions and Public Opinion on Climate Change   Reference library

Salil Benegal and Lyle Scruggs

The Oxford Encyclopedia of Climate Change Communication

Reference type:
Subject Reference
Current Version:
2018
Subject:
Science and technology, Earth Sciences and Geography, Social sciences, Environment
Length:
10,072 words
Illustration(s):
2

... Jagers, S. C. , & Martinsson, J. (2011). Explaining ups and downs in the public’s environmental concern in Sweden: The effects of ecological modernization, the economy, and the media. Organization & Environment , 24 (4), 388–403. Harrison, D. , & Rubinfeld, D. L. (1978). Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air. Journal of environmental economics and management , 5 (1), 81–102. Hart, P. S. , & Nisbet, E. C. (2011). Boomerang effects in science communication: How motivated reasoning and identity cues amplify opinion polarization about...

View: