William John Thoms
antiquary, author of several works including The Book of the Court (1838), and editor of a number of volumes including a collection of Early Prose Romances (1827–8) and The History of Reynard the Fox (1844) for the Percy Society. He was secretary of the Camden Society from 1838 to 1873. In 1846, in an article in the Athenaeum headed ‘Folk Lore’ he introduced this term into the English language. Encouraged by Dilke he founded Notes and Queries in 1849.