- The broad mass of a nation…will more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a small one.
Mein Kampf (1925) vol. 1, ch. 10
- The art of leadership…consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention.
Mein Kampf (1925) ch. 3
- The night of the long knives.
referring to the massacre of Ernst Roehm and his associates by Hitler on 29–30 June 1934 (subsequently associated with Harold Macmillan
's Cabinet dismissals of 13 July 1962)
S. H. Roberts The House Hitler Built (1937) pt. 2, ch. 3
- I go the way that Providence dictates with the assurance of a sleepwalker.
speech in Munich, 15 March 1936,
- If artists do see fields blue they are deranged and should go to an asylum. If they only pretend to see them blue, they are criminals and should go to prison.
speech in Munich, July 1937
- It is the last territorial claim which I have to make in Europe, but it is the claim from which I will not recede and which, God-willing, I will make good.
on the Sudetenland
speech at Berlin Sportpalast, 26 September 1938
- After all, who remembers today the extermination of the Armenians?
comment, 22 August 1939
- Is Paris burning?
on 25 August 1944, in Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre Is Paris Burning? (1965) ch. 5