- There is such a thing as society, it's just not the same as the state.
in Birmingham Post
15 September 2005, later repeated on becoming leader of the Conservative party, 6 December 2005; see Thatcher
- Ukip is sort of a bunch of fruit cakes and loonies and closet racists mostly.
interview on LBC radio, 4 April 2006, in Independent 5 April 2006
- We—the people in suits—often see hoodies as aggressive, the uniform of a rebel army of gangsters. But hoodies are more defensive than offensive. They're a way to stay invisible in the street.
speech to Centre for Social Justice, 10 July 2006, in BBC News (online edition) 10 July 2006; commonly quoted as ‘hug a hoodie’: see Coaker
- The age of irresponsibility is giving way to the age of austerity.
speech, Conservative Party conference, 26 April 2009
- The Big Society is our big idea.
speech to voters, Swindon 18 April 2010; the Big Society formed part of the Conservative Party manifesto launched on 13 April 2010
- Terms are like Shredded Wheat—two are wonderful but three might just be too many.
his view on a third term as Prime Minister
interviewed by James Landale for BBC News, 23 March 2015