- Societies need to have one illness which becomes identified with evil, and attaches blame to its ‘victims’.
AIDS and its Metaphors (1989)
- Interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.
in Evergreen Review December 1964
- What pornography is really about, ultimately, isn't sex but death.
in Partisan Review Spring 1967
- The white race is the cancer of human history.
in Partisan Review Winter 1967
- The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own.
in New York Review of Books 18 April 1974
- Illness is the night-side of life, a more onerous citizenship. Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick.
in New York Review of Books 26 January 1978