- So leben wir und nehmen immer Abschied.
We live our lives, for ever taking leave.
Duineser Elegien (tr. J. B. Leishman and Stephen Spender, 1948) no. 8
- A work of art is good if it has grown out of necessity.
Letters to a Young Poet (1929) 17 February 1903 (tr. R. Snell)
- Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.
Letters to a Young Poet (1929) 14 May 1904 (tr. Hugh MacLennan)
- What we call fate does not come into us from the outside, but emerges from us.
Letters to a Young Poet (1929) 12 August 1904 (tr. S. Mitchell)
- I hold this to be the highest task for a bond between two people: that each protects the solitude of the other.
letter to Paula Modersohn-Becker, 12 February 1902, in Gesammelte Briefe (1904) vol. 1