St Martin's School of Art
London. Art college founded in 1854 in Shelton Street, London, near the church of St-Martin-in-the-Fields, which originally provided sponsorship. It became independent of the church in 1859. In 1913 it moved to Charing Cross Road, which is still the site of one of its principal buildings. St Martin's developed into one of the largest and most prestigious art schools in the country, and in the 1960s it became particularly renowned for its sculpture department, where Anthony Caro was a highly influential teacher, encouraging a generation of artists to work with welded metal. In 1989 St Martin's amalgamated with the Central School of Art and Design (founded in 1896 as the Central School of Arts and Crafts) to create Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design. This is now one of six colleges making up University of the Arts London, which describes itself as ‘Europe's largest university for art, design, fashion, communication and the performing arts’.