French archaeologist specializing in the ancient Near East. Born in Mulhouse, he attended university in Strasbourg and Paris. Between 1929 and 1941 he was first Assistant Inspector and then Inspector of Antiquities for the French High Commission in the Levant. During this time he carried out excavations at Qasr‐al‐Khayr‐al‐Gharbi in the Syrian desert, and established an international reputation. In 1945 he went to Kabul as Director of the Délégation Archéologique Française in Afghanistan, where again he carried out a great deal of fieldwork, including the discovery of a Greek city dating back to the time of Alexander the Great at Ay Khanum on the River Oxus, close to the Russian border. In 1963 he returned to France to take up a Chair in Strasbourg University, but in 1969 he went back to the Near East to take charge of the Institut Français d'Archéologie in Beirut. At the time of his death he was on study leave at Princeton University, New Jersey.
The Times, 25 October 1972