(fl. c. 1506—1550)
(b Worms, c.1475; d Antwerp, 1550/1).
German sculptor. From about 1506 to 1510 he worked in Wittenberg at the court of Frederick the Wise, elector of Saxony, collaborating with Cranach. Soon afterwards he moved to the Netherlands, where he was court sculptor to the Habsburg rulers for most of his career. His work included a number of large monuments, but his most characteristic sculptures are small figures and portraits, most notably sensuous free-standing nudes such as the well-known alabaster Judith with the Head of Holofernes (c.1510–15, Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich). In these he created a distinctive type of German Renaissance sculpture, combining Italian idealism with northern particularity of detail.
Subjects: Art & Architecture