Euston Road School
A group of British painters centred round the ‘School of Drawing and Painting’ that opened in a studio at 12 Fitzroy Street, London, in 1937, and soon transferred to nearby 316 Euston Road. Its founding teachers were William Coldstream, Victor Pasmore, and Claude Rogers (1907–79); Graham Bell and Lawrence Gowing were also leading members of the circle. These artists advocated a move away from modernist styles to a more straightforward naturalism; by encouraging sound skills in representational painting, they hoped to end the isolation of artist from public that avant-garde movements had created. The outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 caused the School to close, but although it was so short-lived, it was influential: the term ‘Euston Road’ was used for a decade or so afterwards as a generic description for painting done in a style similar to that practised by the founders. Coldstream, through his position as professor at the Slade School, was the chief upholder of the tradition.