- To grasp the full significance of life is the actor's duty, to interpret it is his problem, and to express it his dedication.
Marlon Brando (1974) 1924–2004 Americanactor: David Shipman
- Just say the lines and don't trip over the furniture.
advice on acting
The Wit of Noël Coward (1968) 1899–1973 Englishdramatist, actor, and composer: D. Richards
- Acting is a masochistic form of exhibitionism. It is not quite the occupation of an adult.
Time 3 July 1978 1907–89 Englishactor and director: in
- Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people from coughing.
New York Herald Tribune 19 May 1946 1902–83 Englishactor: in
- Be not too tame neither, but let your own discretion be your tutor: suit the action to the word, the word to the action; with this special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature; for anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing, whose end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold, as 'twere, the mirror up to nature.
Hamlet (1601) act 3, sc. 2, l.  (Oxford Standard Authors ed.) 1564–1616 Englishdramatist: