- I am not arguing with you—I am telling you.
The Gentle Art of Making Enemies (1890)
- I maintain that two and two would continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five.
Whistler v. Ruskin. Art and Art Critics (1878)
- No, I ask it for the knowledge of a lifetime.
in his case against Ruskin
, replying to the question: ‘For two days' labour, you ask two hundred guineas?’
D. C. Seitz Whistler Stories (1913)
- Had silicon been a gas, I would have been a major-general by now.
having been found ‘deficient in chemistry’ in a West Point examination
E. R. and J. Pennell The Life of James McNeill Whistler (1908)
- oscar wilde: How I wish I had said that.
whistler: You will, Oscar, you will.
R. Ellman Oscar Wilde (1987) pt. 2, ch. 5