The film studios near Iver, Buckinghamshire, date from 1934 when Charles Boot, a wealthy local builder, bought Heatherden Hall and named what he hoped would become the most advanced film studio in the world after the tall pines in the grounds. The name also compliments (and complements) that of Hollywood, which Boot saw his enterprise as rivalling. He formed a partnership with J. Arthur Rank and the studios went on to achieve several blockbuster successes, among them The Red Shoes and Oliver Twist, both made in 1948. US production companies were attracted to Pinewood from the 1960s and the Carry On films and James Bond films were made there, as were television series such as Minder. In 2001 Pinewood bought up and joined forces with Shepperton film studios.