Oxford commemorates The Centennial of World War I with an array of freely accessible content including quotations, timelines, quick reference entries, and more.
We're pleased to announce that all entries within The Oxford Encyclopedia of American Military and Diplomatic History, edited by Timothy J. Lynch will be unlocked for global users through October 2014.
Start exploring over 450 entries offering assessment and analysis of the key episodes, issues, and actors in the military history of the United States. This title is available to institutions and libraries through title-by-title purchase.
World War I - Sample Quotations From:
- The Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations
- Oxford Essential Quotations
- The Oxford Dictionary of American Quotations
- "The world must be made safe for democracy."
- Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) speech to Congress (2 April 1917)
- "In war: resolution. In defeat: defiance. In victory: magnanimity. In peace: goodwill."
- Winston Churchill (1874-1965) at the conclusion of the first World War
- "Your country needs you."
- Alfred Leete (1882-1933) slogan on First World War recruitment poster, 1914, showing Lord Kitchener pointing.
- "What Price Glory."
- Laurence Stallings (1894-1968) title of antiwar play about World War I, 1924
- "First in the fight. Always faithful."
recruiting poster, World War I
- "And quiet flows the Don"
title of novel (1934), describing the impact of the First World War, revolution, and civil war on Cossack life- Mikhail Sholokhov (1905-84) Russian novelist
- "All a soldier needs to know is how to shoot and salute."
- John Pershing (1860 - 1948) After commanding the American Expeditionary Force in Europe in WWI, Pershing served as army chief of staff from 1921 until his retirement in 1924.
- "One began to hear it said that World War I was the chemists' war, World War II was the physicists' war, World War III (may it never come) will be the mathematicians' war."
All quotations within Oxford Essential Quotations are freely accessible to global users, as part of Oxford Reference's unique approach to making scholarly content discoverable.
World War I: Timelines
World War I: Sample Entries
- World War I (1914-18) World Encyclopedia
- War Literature: World War I The Oxford Companion to New Zealand Literature
- World War I The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History
- First World War: The Oxford Reader's Companion to Hardy
- World War I Encyclopedia of African American HIstory: 1896 to Present
- World War I Black Women in America (2nd Ed)
- World War I The Oxford Companion to United States History
- World War I: Poetry The Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature