- If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
St Louis Post-Dispatch 1 November 1989 1930– English writer: in
- Example is the school of mankind, and they will learn at no other.
Two Letters on the Proposals for Peace with the Regicide Directory (9th ed., 1796) 1729–97 Irish-born Whig politician and man of letters:
- Even when walking in a party of no more than three I can always be certain of learning from those I am with. There will be good qualities that I can select for imitation and bad ones that will teach me what requires correction in myself.
bc Chinese philosopher: The Analects ch. 7, v. 21; tr. Arthur Waley (K'ung Fu-tzu) 551–479
- Example is always more efficacious than precept.
Rasselas (1759) ch. 30 1709–84 English poet, critic, and lexicographer:
- Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894) ch. 19 1835–1910 American writer:
- Really, if the lower orders don't set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them?
The Importance of Being Earnest (1895) act 1 1854–1900 Irish dramatist and poet: